Cuphead Patch Puts an End to the Mugman Army
The developers at Studio MDHR did some fine-tuning to Cuphead today with Patch v1.1.3. The patch fixes various bugs and addresses prominent gameplay issues, which unfortunately includes doing away with the amusing “Mugman Army” glitch.
The Mugman Army emerged as a result of a strange exploit that allowed players to spawn Mugman numerous times during multiplayer. The bug involved Player 2 repeatedly dropping out of the game and rejoining as Mugman. Instead of eliminating the initial Mugman and re-adding them, the game would simply add another Mugman instead. What resulted was a robust army of Mugmans (Mugmen?) marching in unison across the screen.
Here’s a video from MercyIsHere showcasing the Mugman Army glitch in action.
Cuphead Patch v1.1.3
As for the rest of the changes, the latest Cuphead patch makes various gameplay improvements and fixes a number of not-so-amusing issues, such as the infinite controller rumble bug. Here’s the full list of changes from today’s Cuphead patch notes:
- Fixed various freezes caused by controller disconnection/reconnection
- Fixed infinite controller rumble bug
- Fixed various freezes and soft-locks and crashes
- Improvements to saving and loading
- No longer possible to create a Mugman army.
- Fixed rapid-weapon-swap damage glitch
- Slight charge weapon damage reduction
- Charge weapon charge is now maintained during parry
- It is now possible to unequip secondary weapon, Super, and Charm from equipment menu (Press “Y” to unequip)
- Chimes no longer gets stuck or goes off-screen
- King Dice’s Start Over square will now only trigger once per attempt
- Player 2 now appears in the King Dice board after being revived at the end of a mini-boss level
- Dice Palace score now properly resets when retrying the level
- Fixed improper hit boxes on the Devil’s snake attack
- Fixed Devil’s goat attack so it hits ducking players
- Elevator on Rugged Ridge no longer locks if Player 1 dies
- A+ grade now possible on Funfair Fever and Treetop Trouble
- No longer possible to damage bosses that are off-screen
- Fixed rare crash when parrying on Carnival Kerfuffle
- Fixed Roundabout shots not coming back on screen on select stages
- Baroness Von Bon Bon death results now properly displays progress on phase 3
- Kahl’s Robot death results now properly displays progress on phase 1
- Fixed various minor collision bugs
- Various art and animation polish
- Minor sound effect bug fixes and polish
- Added spooky Mausoleum announcer
- Touch fuzzy, get a little dizzy
Though it's disappointing to say goodbye to a fun glitch like the Mugman Army, it's likely for the best. We're also glad to see Studio MDHR working hard to maintain the shine on their already polished game. If you’re curious what we thought about Cuphead, check out our Cuphead review.