Dive Into The Holiday's Best Game Deals
With Thanksgiving comes Black Friday and Cyber Monday, two consumer-based frenzies that seem to grow more and more massive with every passing year.
Fortunately for us gamers, we can take advantage of these crazy sales without ever having to get out of our nice, padded gaming chairs. Or the couch, or the bed... or wherever it is you choose to get comfy and peruse the vast selection of holiday game deals. We’re not here to judge, we’re here to help.
Below, we’ve taken a look at all of the websites we use to buy games and have outlined some of the highlights and game deals up for grabs right now!
The Steam Autumn Sale is on from now until November 29th. This will eventually transform itself into the Steam Winter Sale in December. Although we’re anxiously awaiting the massive holiday sales that inevitably come down the Steam pipeline, the Autumn Sale is nothing to balk at. First, a new feature has
- The “Test of Time” Award: This award is for the game that is just as good today as the day you first played it. Newer games may come out, but it doesn’t matter… you’ll always come back to play this one.
- The “I’m Not Crying, There’s Something In My Eye” Award: Games are fun. But sometimes games become more than
that,and touch you in a way you weren’t expecting. This award celebrates the game that blindsided you emotionally. You weren’t expecting to cry. It wasn’t in the plan. But it happened nonetheless.
- The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: You have an early day tomorrow. You need to get some sleep, so you’re just going finish one more thing before you decide to tuck in for the night. Just one more. Wait, one more. What’s that you say? It’s 2:30 AM? This award is for the game that keeps you playing late.
- The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude!” Award: Some games melt your face. Maybe it was a crazy plot twist. Maybe you just got your wisdom teeth removed. Either way, this game BLOWS YOUR MIND.
- The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award: Some people just need a hug.
- The “Game Within A Game” Award: Kinder Eggs. Peanut Butter Cups. Jelly Donuts. All great things stuffed with other great things. Like a mighty turducken, this award celebrates the best mini-game hidden within another game.
- The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award: This title didn’t have a huge marketing machine behind it, but you found it and loved it. Then you told your friends about it. And they loved it. And now that little game that could is about to win an award… but always remember: you totally found it first.
- The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award: Animals are
radand almost any game is better for including them. Howeverthis game used a farm animal in the best way possible
- The “Category Not Named” Award: There are as many great ideas for awards as there are great games to play. And so we turn to the Steam Awards Selection Committee to come up with their own category and nominee. Senior members of the Selection Committee will review the write-in entries and create an entirely new category based on the feedback provided.
You will be able to earn a unique Steam badge for nominating games, though it requires four steps in total to earn this badge. First, you need to nominate a game for each and every one of the categories listed above.
Then, you have to jump in and play one of the games you nominated (it doesn’t have to be for long). Finally, review (or update) a review for one of the games you’ve nominated.
There is the coveted badge, folks. Also yes indeed, that is my Steam username (WHEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED) and photo if you feel like adding me and challenging me to a game.
We here at Indie Obscura are a friendly lot... plus, a "pics or it didn't happen" rule always applies when it comes to proclaiming you've earned a Steam badge.
Moving on, what else does the Steam Autumn Sale offer? At the moment, there's a decent selection of games on sale (though not all of them are comparable to the kind of deep discounts you can expect to find towards the end of the year).
Although any discount is a good discount. So, if there's a game you can't wait to play after stuffing yourself to the max this Thanksgiving, be sure to take advantage of the Steam Autumn Sale before it ends on November 29th.
Step aside, Humble Bundle, because itch.io has
The "A Good Bundle" deal comes packed with deals of varying tiers and price points, allowing you to pick and choose how much you spend (or you could just buy it all if you have no self-control like we do).
There are over 151 games up for grabs in this bundle... which is insane. Be sure to browse through A Good Bundle courtesy of itch.io and grab yourself some incredible indie titles before they're gone (you have around five days left).
Note that all of the proceeds from this bundle will be split 50-50 between the ACLU ( American Civil Liberties Union) and Planned Parenthood, which means you can feel good knowing that your game purchases are benefitting two very important causes.
GOG Black Friday Sale
GOG has officially launched their Black Friday Sale which lasts from now until November 27th.
The little green man is also having a Black Friday sale, with various titles from triple-A powerhouses to beloved indies up to 90% off their original purchase price. There are so many titles up for grabs that it's difficult to name all of them. Because of this, we listed a small snippet of GMG's notable offerings below!
- Chivalry Medieval Warfare - 90% off at $1.49
- Overcooked - 25% off at $12.29
- Superhot - 40% off at $14.29
- Viscera Cleanup Detail - 33% off at $8.29
- Kerbal Space Program - 40% off at $23.99
- Remember Me - 80% off at $5.79
- This War of Mine - 80% off at $3.79
Remember, these are only a few of the wealth of games that have been discounted in celebration of Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday.
You can cross-reference your deals on websites like CheapShark, and stay tuned to IndieObscura for even more holiday game coverage!
For more news here at Indie Obscura, be sure to check out how you can now capture a Ditto in Pokémon GO, learn why Chris Taylor left Wargaming behind to start his own indie game studio, and how you can take advantage of the Smite holiday event which is live now!